Experience our transformative workshops designed for young artists, architects, and environmentalists alike. These hands-on sessions are tailored for children aged 7-12, fostering their curiosity about plant-based and eco-friendly materials. By merging the realms of art and construction, participants will create innovative artworks. The culmination of their creative endeavours will be showcased in an exhibition at the Building Centre in September. Join us on this adventure, where imagination meets sustainability.
All sessions are run by artist and botanist Jane Plowright.
Club 1: Art with thatch
11.00-12.30 on Wednesday 16 and Thursday 17 August 2023
Unleash your creativity with our two-day workshop! Create a 'painting' on thatch canvas and test its strength with paint, water, poppers, and wind. Then on the second day, be inspired to create pop art using experimental thatch.
Club 2: Buildings with natural beauty
11.00-12.30 on Wednesday 23 and Thursday 24 August 2023
Discover how plants grow vertically and create a living 'canvas' in our workshop. Create a plant wall ‘painting’: a living ‘canvas’ to take home, hang indoors or outdoors and watch grow. For our second day, we are going to paint with the natural materials used in cob and adobe buildings, exploring their textures and colours and how they can create an interesting surface.
All sessions will take place at the Building Centre on 26 Store Street. There is a café onsite for adults who would like to remain onsite whilst the children do the workshop.
Terms and Conditions
- Once booked you will receive a registration form to complete for your child. If we do not receive full registration information in advance of the event, we cannot allow the participant to attend.
- Participants must arrive punctually for the workshop as late attendance can be disruptive.
- Attendees must be brought to and collected from the workshop by an adult identified on the registration form.
- We can offer a full refund up to 30 days in advance of the workshop’s start date. Thereafter, we cannot offer a refund or transfer.
- We reserve the right to alter the advertised content of events.
- In the unlikely event we need to cancel we will contact all ticket holders as soon as possible to rearrange or offer a full refund. We cannot reimburse or compensate for travel or other associated costs.
- On entry to the event, participants agree to behave in an appropriate manner; the Built Environment Trust reserves the right to request participants who behave inappropriately to be immediately collected by parents/guardians.
- In addition to the artist, a member from BET will be present at the workshops.