Churchill Gardens, Pimlico, built between 1946 and 1962 to designs by Powell and Moya, replaced terraced housing, much of which had been badly damaged in the war. From the outset it sought a social mix. The housing includes seven blocks rising up to 11 storeys interspersed with low-rise. In all 1600 homes are provided in 32 blocks, with well-planned and maintained communal landscaping. A then innovative district heating plan continues to operate.