2K Manufacturing was formed in January 2007 with the express purpose of manufacturing industrial products from recovered waste plastics. We do this using a new ground breaking technology (Powder Impression Moulding) which, combined with our rigorous process controls, allows us to take co-mingled polymer waste and re-manufacture it into high-performance, environmentally sustainable products.
In a world where the overwhelming majority of simple, everyday items are made from several different polymer types used in combination, recycling plastics has never been more challenging. Without any realistic prospect of separating co-mingled polymers back into their constituent elements, the quantity of plastics now headed for disposal - either in landfill or incineration - remains unwaveringly high. But why should we care?
Plastics are a valuable natural resource. They are derived from fossil fuels and are created at substantial energetic and environmental cost. And yet we have come to treat plastic as the ultimate throw-away consumer commodity - using them in an all-pervasive multitude of short-term applications. The net result is the perfect storm of conflicts whereby:
1. Our consumption patterns are rising relentlessly.
2. We are increasingly reliant upon plastics products within this consumption pattern.
3. These products are increasingly made from multiple polymer types - which are largely impossible to segregate and therefore recycle.
4. Therefore we burn or bury used plastics and start the process again with virgin polymers.
5. This in turns relentlessly drives global resource depletion, and further aggravates environmental damage.
Using our Powder Impression Moulding processes, we can divert these precious waste-streams away from disposal and recycle them back into valuable products - which in turn can be recycled again repeatedly.