Kingspan Access Floors gains ISO 50001 accreditation

Kingspan Access Floors has gained ISO 50001 energy management accreditation, which is designed to help companies reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions by developing an energy management system.

Paul Allon, General Manager, said: “Gaining this accreditation is very important because the Kingspan Group is committed to achieving net zero energy by 2020 and is well on target to meeting that goal.”

Kingspan Access Floors began working towards gaining ISO 50001 accreditation three years ago, with the project culminating in a series of audits of all areas of the business that consume energy. The energy audit work was led by Kingspan Environmental Energy Controller Dan Ward, who worked with external assessors to gain the ISO accreditation.

Last year Kingspan installed three biomass boilers at its factory in Hull in a £1 million investment. The boilers provide 95% of the site’s heating needs, with the remaining 5% sourced from “green gas”.

The company has also installed 1,000 photovoltaic solar panels, producing 250kW of electricity a year and has installed LED lighting throughout the factory to provide further substantial savings in energy consumption. LED lighting is also to be fitted in the offices. An earlier £1.25m investment in a new production line cut the line’s energy consumption by up to 40%.

There are currently no comments for this article.

Login to comment. slider