BURLINGTON SLATE SPECIFIED FOR CHURCH RESTORATION PROJECT
The restoration of the roofscape of Christ Church – a Grade 2 listed Anglican place of worship located in the London suburb of Turnham Green – has been completed using natural slate roofing from the UK’s leading producer, Cumbria-based Burlington.
A popular choice of roof finish across many prominent sites of historical importance here in the UK, Burlington’s natural slate was selected as it best replicated the existing roof covering in terms of appearance and quality.
Specified by London-based architects, Thomas Ford & Partners, approximately 12,800 Burlington’s blue/grey natural slate roofing now adorns the 845 sq metre roofscape of Christ Church.
Built in Early English style in 1841–3 by Scott and Moffatt, Burlington’s blue/grey slate was installed by specialist roofing contractors, T & P Lead Roofing Limited. Main contractors were Hertfordshire-based E C Allard & Co Ltd.
Mirroring the original roof covering as close as possible, Burlington’s best grade 510mm X 305mm patterned slates were laid in equal sizes and courses. Fixing was in the traditional manner using battens and counter battens with a 60mm headlap.
Comments Burlington’s Joint Managing Director, Malcolm Hatch: “We are delighted that our natural slate roofing has helped restore the roofscape of Christ Church. The colour of the new roof covering complements the church’s overall exterior finish that is faced in knapped flints with Bath stone dressings.”
Whilst the original church comprised a Nave, short transepts and north and south aisles with a tall broach spire placed centrally at the west end, a longer Chancel designed by Brooks replaced the half-hexagonal east end of Scott’s design in 1887. A north Chapel was added at the same time. Additionally, Vestries were added to the southeast corner of Christ Church in 1895.