Burlington goes to battle!
Helping deliver the fusion of contemporary style with the historical significance of the site of the Battle of Hastings, are slate vanity surfaces that feature within the male and female washrooms of the two-storey visitor centre at Battle Abbey.
Supplied by the UK’s leading slate producer, Cumbria-based Burlington, the mid-green Broughton Moor honed vanity units complement the contemporary interior design adopted for the visitor centre by London-based Dannatt, Johnson Architects.
The Burlington vanity units serve to replace previously inadequate toilet facilities on a site which is one of English Heritage’s most popular, attracting around 110,00 visitors per year. The Burlington vanity units accentuate the richly textured interior of the visitor centre building and follow the palette of natural materials used for its exterior.
In addition to being selected by English Heritage for the stone’s inherent aesthetic qualities, being hardwearing and long lasting made the material a natural choice for the units. Supplied with four bowl cut outs to accommodate undermounted white ceramic basins, the dark look of both the vanity surfaces and ceramic floor tiling offset against the pale walls, cubicles and stainless steel fixtures. And to increase the ambience of the washroom areas, the Burlington slate is lit by recessed pelmet lighting.
Situated near to the Abbey Gatehouse of 1338 – one of the finest monastic gatehouses in England – the two-storey visitor centre is partially cut into existing ground and curved to closely follow the site’s contours. The café on the upper level spectacularly frames the view towards the gatehouse. The route that visitors trace through the building progresses along the curved palisade wall and leads down to a major interpretation exhibition that provides details of the historical background to the events of 1066.
Commenting on behalf of Burlington, Managing Director, Rob Irwin said: “We are delighted that our slate was specified for the visitor building, particularly as it is situated on one of the most historically important sites in the UK.”