This course will cover the key requirements of visual concrete, both pre-cast and in-situ concrete, at the design stage. It will include:
• choosing and controlling concrete colour and tone
• selecting form-face materials: smooth-ply, chipboard, corrugated metal, materials for a board-marked finish and other surfaces
• detailing of sheet layouts for columns, walls and soffits; tie holes, shadow gaps, corners and joints, shutter striking times
• pre-cast concrete facades: exposed aggregate textures, GRC, ductal and sandwich panels will be reviewed
• practical tips: workmanship in vertical work and slab construction
• how to avoid common defects and surface blemishes
• sample and trial panels: how to judge a good finish
Practical guidance will also be provided on formwork assembly, tie bolt holes, tie cones as well as placing and compacting concrete for no blemishes.
The tutor, David Bennett, is a leading expert in architectural concrete and a skilled innovator on all aspects of visual concrete construction with a wealth of knowledge and practical experience to share.
Comprehensive technical notes and reference information are included.
2.30pm - 3.20pm Concrete mix, colour and texture
3.20pm - 3.50pm Face material selection and detailing tips
3.50pm - 4.00pm Break
4.00pm - 5.00pm Pre-cast concrete facades
5.00pm - 5.45pm Assessing a good concrete finish and avoiding/repairing common surface defects
Cost: £128+VAT or £88+VAT to students
Please note that the title of this course has been changed from Framed Buildings and Fine Concrete Finishes.