This course will take you out into the city to improve freehand drawing and observation skills. In each session you will visit sites of architectural significance, parks and gardens in the area local to The Building Centre, drawing on location in the urban environment.
The course is designed to help you improve your hand-eye co-ordination and observational skills, which in turn will build experience and confidence when visualising spaces from plans and measurements.
You will draw the details and atmosphere of the city using a variety of materials that will be explored as expressive tools, developing your style.
– The course will cover drawing at different speeds and durations, one and two-point perspective, measuring and proportion.
– Texture, surface, light, materials and shading will also be covered.
– Working through simple exercises to help simplify and render perspective and consistent scale in your drawings.
– Looking at examples of historical and contemporary work to see how others have interpreted city and landscapes.
– Sessions typically will start with demonstrations of how to use different materials or techniques.
All materials will be provided including cartridge paper, pencils and pens. A personal sketchbook will be given to students in which they can build up their body of work.
This course is suitable for everyone, from complete beginners to seasoned sketchers wishing to refresh and reinvigorate their skills.
“This course answered some of the questions that had frustrated me for a long time.”
“The course helped me gain a working knowledge that books cannot supply.”
Ilga Leimanis is a London-based visual artist. Ilga has developed effective manual drawing skills and creative process courses, teaching at leading architecture and engineering practices in London and internationally. Ilga is a published writer currently working on a book about freehand perspective, a researcher, and founder of a monthly location drawing group.
- Monday 4 June 2018, 6.30pm-9.00pm
- Monday 11 June 2018, 6.30pm-9.00pm
- Monday 18 June 2018, 6.30pm-9.00pm
- Monday 25 June 2018, 6.30pm-9.00pm
Cost: standard ticket £200+VAT for four lessons. A limited number of early bird tickets costing £160+VAT will be available until 14 May.
Spaces are limited. Book now to avoid disappointment.
(If you are unable to view the Evenbrite booking form, please click here.)