Stonehenge Visitor Centre, Wiltshire
Working with Denton Corker Marshall, washroom consultants Lovair created a series of bespoke DuPont Corian® Troughs for handwashing in this stunning new visitor centre at the World Heritage Site. Lovair also provided the fittings, including sensor taps, recessed Air Fury Hand Dryers and soap dispensers.
They needed to create and support a 3.2m long, 6 user floating Corian® trough weighing 92kg without any structural support in the walls.
They also had the following constraints:
- Underfloor heating pipes within the floor
- Access points were required to achieve building code regulations within a minimalist room design, and site access preventing transporting the 3.2m Corian® trough into the room.
- The support frame had to be constructed without using timber to prevent absorbing the high moisture content in a washroom and failing.
- To avoid the under floor heating pipes, and to avoid any strain on the non supportive walls, they designed a bespoke metal structural support frame, enabling the sink to be fully cantilevered, and self supporting.
- To meet the Building Code Regulations, they created Corian® access panels.
- To meet the space requirements, the Corian® trough was constructed in two pieces, which was then joined on site using a seamless join, so the joint line is completely inconspicuous.
CD UK Ltd is the distributors of DuPont™ Corian® in the UK.