Owner & Developer: Guinness Hermitage
Contractor: PMC Construction
The grand Portland Stone colonnade of the station is Grade II* Listed and was decorated with Keim Soldalit as part of the refurbishment to transform the site into a small number of residential properties and offices. Keim Mineral Paints are perfect for the renovation and restoration of historic and listed buildings. Keim Soldalit is a breathable mineral paint system which will offer a durable long life coating whilst allowing free passage of moisture vapour, virtually eliminating blistering and flaking associated with conventional acrylic film forming paints. Keim Soldalit has a natural matt mineral texture sympathetic to the style and finish of the building.
Gosport railway station was originally designed by William Tite and was opened in 1841 by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR). On 10 March 1941, during World War II, the station received a direct incendiary hit from an aerial attack, the main damage being to the roofing which caught alight and collapsed. After the war Gosport station's role diminished and on 6 June 1953 scheduled passenger services from Gosport ceased. Freight traffic remained until 30 January 1969, but then the station closed to all traffic. The buildings thus remained un-used and un-occupied for nearly 30 years.
In 2006, planning approval was given for the site to be converted into a small number of residential properties and offices using the existing structure of the platform as the basis for the design. The development was for the Guinness Trust and designed by award winning architects Re-Format. The design has been commended by the Civic Trust Awards.