There are four major performance advantages of Adaptive Structures:
- More slender
- Infinitely stiff
- Lower energy
With these benefits come significant opportunities. Adaptive Structures can:
- Achieve onerous performance criteria, for example in laboratory buildings, gantry crane runway beams, bespoke facades.
- Save significant quantities of material where large, rare loads need to be designed for, as is the case for most structures and types of loading!
- Allow slender structures to be built in limited space, whether due to refurbishment, architectural desire, constraints on height, or limited footprints for tall buildings.
- Ease construction due to lightweight nature e.g. fewer crane lifting operations in a bridge construction.
- Use high strength materials (which are often no stiffer than conventional materials) to their full potential by using active systems to overcome deflection issues..
Generously funded by: